By joining Real Estate Balance’s email list, you agree to receive email updates from time to time about organisation news, events being held and information about our partners in accordance with the terms outlined in our privacy notice, which you can read in full here.Sign up
CultureToolkit / Culture / Everyday actions for inclusivity
Everyday actions for inclusivity
Policies alone will not create an inclusive workplace where everyone can thrive. To promote inclusivity, you need to embed practices that help it become the norm on a daily basis.
Equality is essential for inclusion, but equality does not always mean treating everyone the same, it is about taking differences into account in an appropriate way and treating everyone with respect. Here are some steps to ensure the everyday actions you take are gender inclusive:
- Ensure there is appropriate diversity on pitch and project teams and assignments.
- Encourage all employees to express their ideas and make meaningful contributions.
- Structure training sessions in a way that gives everyone a chance to take part.
- Ensure that any benefits or perks you offer are appropriate to and accessible by everyone.
- Client events, hospitality and networking opportunities should appeal to everyone.
- Develop a language that avoids discrimination (introduce training if necessary).
- Give women feedback. Feedback is critical for improving performance and although women ask for it as often as men it is given less frequently.
- Encourage fathers to take paternity leave, career breaks and time off for school events.
- Make sure your maternity, paternity and shared leave policies are inclusive and open to all expecting parents. Streamline and simplify where possible.
- Support inclusive behaviours with role models and rewards.