WIDENING YOUR TALENT POOL
There are accepted routes into the UK real estate sector with recognised courses and institutions, and the bodies responsible are encouraging more women to think about property as a career. But there are things that individual businesses can do to make sure that they attract the very best people:
- Offer work experience opportunities for girls - start young and raise awareness of a career in real estate.
- Ensure the use of gender neutral language in job advertisements so as not to alienate women (for example, words like ‘assertive’ and ‘strong’ can imply that you are looking to recruit a man).
- Make sure recruitment partners know to expect a balance of male and female candidates and push back if you don't receive balanced shortlists.
- Feature women prominently in your recruitment materials and on your website.
- Broaden your sources for recruiting talent. Consider advertising in different media, for example on women returner job sites.
- Diversify the routes into your business. Look at the people specifications for roles. Encourage a wider range of applicants.
- Consider introducing name-blind recruitment.