Once you have got buy-in from the senior team, it is essential to give strategic direction from the top and that means showing at all organisation levels that diversity is a business priority. Start by following these key steps:
- Develop a clear diversity policy at board level.
- Communicate the policy in the Business Plan.
- Appoint a senior executive (ideally from a business area, not a supporting function) to be responsible for delivering gender balance.
- Apply the Real Estate Balance Ten Point Project Plan.
- Sign up to Real Estate Balance’s CEO Commitments.
- Sign up to the RICS Inclusive Employer Quality Mark.
- Be accountable and report publicly on progress.
- Consider linking executive pay to delivery of diversity objectives.