By joining Real Estate Balance’s email list, you agree to receive email updates from time to time about organisation news, events being held and information about our partners in accordance with the terms outlined in our privacy notice, which you can read in full here.Sign up
LeadershipToolkit / Leadership / Leading change
It is said that "what gets measured gets done", and you can set measurable targets to improve diversity. But real change comes with ensuring there is accountability. Changing entrenched attitudes and long-established practices need strong leadership. Here is how to go about it:
- Be a role model. Set the standards for diversity and equality that you expect everyone else to follow. Go public – for example, don’t accept speaking engagements unless there is a diverse mix on the panel.
- Encourage the senior team to follow your example and become leaders for change.
- Engage with line managers and equip them with the tools to make change.
- Set up mentoring, coaching and training programmes.
- Set diversity targets for recruitment and promotion.
- Review jobs design, jobs description and recruitment briefs.
- Consider actions to influence your supply chain.
- Promote D&I in any groups your a members of and share good practice.
- Monitor, measure and publish (data, targets, milestones).