It is said that "what gets measured gets done", and you can set measurable targets to improve diversity. But real change comes with ensuring there is accountability. Changing entrenched attitudes and long-established practices need strong leadership. Here is how to go about it:
- Be a role model. Set the standards for diversity and equality that you expect everyone else to follow. Go public – for example, don’t accept speaking engagements unless there is a diverse mix on the panel.
- Encourage the senior team to follow your example and become leaders for change.
- Engage with line managers and equip them with the tools to make change.
- Set up mentoring, coaching and training programmes.
- Set diversity targets for recruitment and promotion.
- Review jobs design, jobs description and recruitment briefs.
- Consider actions to influence your supply chain.
- Promote D&I in any groups your a members of and share good practice.
- Monitor, measure and publish (data, targets, milestones).